A Relationship in the Fog
29-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Story (10) By: Ibrahim S. Nadir
A Relationship in the Fog
Translated by : Qahtan F. AL-Khatib / Iraq

The windows were drawing small horizontal squares, slowly floating, towards the gray space covering the landmarks of (Linz), a dozing city north of Austria, Everything, here, kept to a place in dignified silence, where quiescence embraces all the landmarks. There hides a ghoul among the tile roofs. All are silent and some of whom urge their paces, whereas others run towards the missing profound mystery.
What a wonder the secret of this city is ! When it floats on Divine Nature that the Lord did an excellent thing. Our hands were feeling the bite of the sudden cold. The brick pavement sounds mixed with our moans, sometimes with the stumbles of an errant drunk or the rhythms of dancing woman shoes, swallowed by the mouths of darkness away from the bleeding light on houses and building.
- “We shall celebrate our wedding tonight.” Inclined towards me and whispered mischievously. “We shall sleep intermixed like a church heated by its candles.”
Her flabby arm contained my shivering flank, then she said,” My dog, Henry, will watch whatsoever we shall do. He shall never prattle.”
The yellow dog’s eyes staring at us like sulfuric satellites cautiously lurking ambiguous unknown horizon parturition. With the humidity of our steps, we left the (Metro) sloping towards the ( Danube ) changes. Afterwards we passed a stone bridge whose fences were filled with names, numbers and incantation like a stiff pineapple crust. Her eyes glittered with delightful glow, then she said, “We have the right to do everything ........... everything ...........except love.”
The color of the sky was dark and menacing as if a crazy fire broke out in the horizon. People were mixed up in an ocean of extending in the reflections of the bleeding evening twilight on the roofs of windows and walls.
With efforts we penetrated the running masses of bodies, through the car sanity, we raced followed by the panting dog, we ascended the marble stairs leading to a narrow street out of breath. My overcoat was open to the horizon which seemed more heavy and blue. Her fainted voice came to me saying:
- “My father is sleeping now. He remains so all day long due to the fear that overruled him. He does not dare to even go out as long as ( Henry ) is lying against him in front of the door, extending its arms and gazing at him in a false nap. My father is well off and owns a big supermarket, but he abandoned my mother so as to guide people to the Lord, the truth and the sacred wine.”
I cut short her remarks asking :
“Do you think he is truthful in his speech and in what he reveals to people is the truth itself ?”
The words trembled and she went to pick them up again whispering :
- “He guides people to happiness, love and desire to the extent that my mother came to him last night so as to return him home, but he refused sharply, insisting on staying in his small apartment. Come on. My father will be glad to meet you. But, now, I am hungry.”
- “What about dining at ( Mac Donald ) ? I told her.
- “Oh ........... that’s fantastic.”
In childish merry we ran. In hot desire we raced towards the cafeteria. The rain drizzle became fiercer warning that the shower might be clamorous and ........... the dog pants behind us. She folded my hand in solid embrace on which she dropped whatsoever she possessed of giving and desire, whereas she wiped with the other hand impulsing freckles as bright as mercury, on which crept her washed face by rain drops, thus increasing their orange brightness under the pavement lights and ( Henry ) was panting with ambiguous longing behind our ambiguity.
I stood in front of the glass window and took out a few shillings. She looked at me ironically:
- “Ha ........... What’s this ........... ? I thought you were well off. Indeed you are wretched and errant like myself. I wasted my day. Damn you. The Lord shall revenge upon you. I shall search. But, it is too late. Once again. Damn you.”
The panting dog’s shadow behind her faded away gradually with the striking (Metro) wheels glamour on the rails. It drowned inside the tunnel darkness.
In the heart of the capital (Vienna), there were lofty people in the mansion (Shemroon) relics yard, around which a middle-age man, invigorated by desires, slaughtered by desperation. He hummed funeral tunes using words from the book: Doctrine of Edges, leads people to the truth, the Lord and the sacred wine, near whom lies down a panting dog whose crimson tongue was suspending dancing on its extended arms, leaned its huge head on a plastic shoe of a girl whose tender face was covered with orange freckles. The dog’s hair was glittering, dark black, wet with water. Its eyes were as yellow as sulfur sparkling like circumference sulfuric satellite circles anticipating, in a false nap, parturition of a coming dazzling the eyes incident from some corner to the bottom of everyday.

Vienna