Hold Your Tongue
29-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Short Story (3) By: Ibrahim S. Nadir
Hold Your Tongue
Translated by : Qahtan F. AL-Khatib / Iraq

The grandfather (Shalan) returned from the temple nervously. When he sat down at his usual corner, Khalid said to him, “I see you nervous, grandfather. Did anything disturb you ? ”

-“Yes. Young man.” replied the grandfather in an affected and troubled voice. “I was impressed by a man sitting among us in a room of the temple chief before evening prayer. I didn’t know him.” said the grandfather. “He was talking about a colleague of his at work in impolite words, liked by neither God nor his Prophet. I drew his attention to the saying of the Prophet of God during his listening to a companion of the Prophet uttering before him. “Hold your tongue” said the Prophet to him. “The Moslem’s tongue” the grandfather said, “young man, is a sharp sword, by which people could succeed if it were good and pure; and by which society would become corrupt if it were insolent.”

“Today,” said the grandfather, “I am going to relate to you a useful and objective tale about the tongue etiquette and good behavior at assemblies.”

It is said that a lion once fell ill. All wild animals except the fox paid him a visit. The wolf wanted to take this opportunity to take advances to the lion saying:

-Sir. All the forest dwellers paid you a visit to ask about your health except the fox. Don’t you think that he is a traitor who deserves punishment from you as a penalty for the extreme remissness and the familiarity breeds contempt ? He shall be a deterrent example for others. Had you not wreaked with a vengeance upon him and assault against him, other wild animals might have disdained you and thereto your influence might have vanished. So might your apprehension and authority.

Among those present was a rabbit (bunny) which conveyed that discourse to the fox with addition. The fox hunted a goose and took it to the lion. While the fox was standing before the lion, the latter began to roar of rage saying: “Oh trivial traitor. How did you dare to abandon me ? You did not pay me a visit during my illness, did you ? All the forest whiled animals visited me and asked about my health. I shall mutilate you and I make you a deterrent lesson.”

“Oh, mercy, great king.” the fox said. “I was looking for an experienced physician who was accustomed to curing us, foxes. I found him sad for his son’s death. He could not be present but he prescribed a remedy for your relief of your disease. He advised me that you be fed in goose meat keeping its gall bladder to be mixed with a wolf’s leg and then to be oiled by it. Having done that, he would have been recovered of his disease. So I have brought you the goose.

The lion did not suspect the fox’s faith and he swallowed up the goose immediately and tasted its meat leaving its gall bladder. Suddenly the wolf entered. The lion snapped the wolf’s leg, took blood out of it and mixed it with the gall bladder. He was oiled by it. The wolf went out hopping and thanking God for his life safety from the claws of the lion after some misfortune had befallen him when he kept at a distance from the lion, he lied down on the ground looking at his status sadly and distressfully. The fox passed by.

-”One-legged wolf, if you attend an assembly, hold your tongue. It is your tongue that dropped you in this great affliction.
Now sons, go to bed, and good night.