Stray Ports
29-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Story (6) By: Ibrahim S. Nadir
Stray Ports
Translated by : Qahtan F. AL-Khatib / Iraq

(1) Dreams Port
On the North Sea shores, at the most distant north east of England, a magical city called (Aberdeen) was overlooking, and on an impregnable fortress of a historical abandoned castle roosted three crows, one seagull and a man lying on the coast sand far away.
- “I don’t know why the sky is dark today,” said the first crow.
- “Perhaps your dinner was greasy last night !” replied the second.
The seagull flew far away towards the sea and the third crow kept silent whereas the man was fast asleep delightfully.
(2) Sea Port
- “I see you deeply attracted by the sea more than enough !”
- “I like the transparency of colors, waves and people.”
- “Nothing deserves this admiration and contemplation.”
- “Raise your spectacles and you shall see the truth of things.”
The fat lady raised her spectacles and said :
- “Nothing has changed. Everything is the same before me.”
The man replied mockingly:
- “I advise you to use medical glasses.”
After a couple of minutes, a soft breeze passed by in front of them. It was a young fair girl.
- “You are still stray. What are you thinking of ?” said the fat lady.
The man replied mischievously, “In the same thing you do.”
The fat lady left her seat and turned to him saying:
- “You are impolite.”
(3) Ghosts Port
Three powerful men entered the house hall and hung the wall with a big-sized mirror, then they departed after their wage receipt.
On that night the hall window slammed causing noisy creaking. The man rose from sleep scared and descended to the hall quickly. He came across a ghost standing in front of him. Treachery and challenge were evident on him. The man inserted his hand into his garment to frighten him. So did the ghost. The man cried out fearfully, “What do you want from me ?”
The man advanced one step forward. So did the ghost towards the man.
- “Ask whatsoever you want,” said the man pleading,” I shall give you all I possess.”
Having been terrified, the man trembled and cried out weeping:
- “Do you want money ? Take everything and don’t .... k...i...I...I... m..e. Plea...s.........e..........
The man advanced another step forward. So did the ghost with his eyes glancing at the man in insistence and obstinacy.
The man sweated and his eyes twisting increased. He screamed at the ghost weeping:
- “Come on ........... Come on. Kill me and take everything. But be sure. I didn’t tell anybody about the matter. Ha ........... Ha ........... The man fell down on the floor fainting in the middle of the hall. The woman kept on standing on the wall while the slammed window creaking increased.
(4) Ecstasy Port
He was stumbled upon the inn door threshold and was about to strike against the light post, but he kept his balance and went away reeling and drinking the humid night breeze. He sneaked into his house like a scared thief without causing uproar. He ascended his upper room, opened the door and slipped into his bed like a snake coiling among the jungles. His head became quite agitated to flirt with the soft body lying beside him and revenge, after this patience and boring waiting, for all past days.
A hungry mewing cat drew his attention. It was gazing at him behind the window glass. The barking of dogs at large followed in succession to his ears. His body was burnt with ecstasy and loss.
Once again he felt by his fingers the surfaces of the soft body. He was stricken by its softness and warm feeling but he walked up scared. He has still been a widower till now.
(5) A Belle Port
Like a hunting leopard creeping and watching secretly to hunt its pry, he approached his apartment door and attached his right ear listening cautiously to his sudden knocks.
The knocks followed on him in succession once more while being lurking at his place.
At first he fancied that the knocker was his boring neighbor or might be Mrs. (Firdous), the landlord’s wife who came to get the monthly rent.
He heard the sound of feet going away and then it gradually faded away. He breathed comfortably, opened the door and made sure of the unknown visitor’s disappearance. He entered his apartment hurriedly and overlooked behind the window towards the public street.
She was an elegant lady wearing a bright dress similar to the one of the lady whom he made acquaintance with this morning at the (Belle) shop downtown.